“Today is the first day of the rest of your life.”
We’ve all heard this mantra before.
It is particularly true about exercise. Not many people find the
thought of regular exercise appealing. It is a bit of a chore at the best of
Some of the things that can put the kibosh on wanting to run, walk, or go on a
hike can be listed quite easily:
• You haven’t found the right type of exercise for yourself yet – nothing appeals to you
• You haven’t found the time to get into a regular form of exercise
• You are recovering from an injury and have reservations about exposing yourself to any possible hurts in an unknown environment.
• You are fed up with the financial commitments/hard sell tactics that gym membership entails
• The weather is bad. The thought of going out into the freezing cold or boiling heat is a nightmare
• You live in an urban or suburban area where the surroundings are not a good idea to move around in at certain times; these are the times when you feel like exercising
This is the scenario for many folks who want to get into the good habits of breaking a sweat. The good news is that you have taken the first step to changing your inactivity pattern simply by starting to read this article.
The Benefits of Starting Exercise
We all want to live a longer, healthier, and happier life. Regular exercise is the key to getting those three things.
Boost Your Happiness Levels
Clinical studies have found that regular exercise of any kind leads to the participant having more positive and pleasant feelings. The surge of endorphins from movement, whether it is vigorous, moderate, or mild, raise your mood and puts a smile on your face.
Your Health Will Improve
This is a long list so you can sit down for this one. Any movement that raises your heart rate even slightly will reduce your risk of high cholesterol and heart disease. When you commit to doing strength training, like stretching or lifting, it will help to improve your muscle strength and flexibility. This leads to stronger bones which combats osteoporosis. The increase in muscle tone helps your body burn calories more efficiently and raises your metabolism. A regular workout fortifies your immune system and you will not be as prone to disease and infection.
Mini-Workouts are Better Than None at All
Even a small flurry of speed can have a beneficial effect on your health. Just 20 or 30 minutes of raising your heart beat a small amount 3 to 5 times a week has been proven to lead to a longer life span than those who stay dormant. You will sleep better and feel more energetic which will expand your lifespan considerably. Even soft forms of aerobic exercise like jogging slowly/walking briskly and swimming have been shown to boost the part of the brain responsible for memory and learning.
All those positive benefits are definitely worth the consideration of trying to get a little exercise into your life.
The best way to start a little daily or weekly exercise is to look to your home first. This is the place where you are most comfortable and safe. Some of the routine stuff you do here can surprisingly count as exercise. You are warm and dry, there is no one watching, and you can go at your own pace with no judgement.
• Housecleaning is a great way to break a sweat AND have a productive time making your home look amazing. Reaching up to dust, wiping down the shower walls, and sponging the floors are all good ways to exert yourself
• Gardening is good for the body and will showcase your efforts to the world
• If you stay in an apartment, think about investing in a piece of exercise equipment. This gives you a chance to have instant access to exercise where and when you want to do it
• If you have a spacious bedroom, spare room, or living area, think about buying/renting a larger piece of exercise equipment that will always be accessible when the mood to move hits you. It will save so much money on gym fees and jogs your memory to exercise just by being visible
When your health, mood, and body start to show that your new attitude and exercise regimen is working, working out will become less of a chore and more of a treat. Start today! No excuses – you will feel the difference on every level.
Let's start with a treadmill hire :)